This vacancy is a fantastic opportunity to work for the local Trentham Estate! With acres of local grounds and shops this vacancy is sure to go quick!
About Your Employer:
The Trentham Estate, located in Trentham, is a huge area of gardens, shopping and beautiful walks.
To apply for this vacancy please click here
To undertake a range of practical skills and activities that will increase the skills and practical ability of the trainee. To assist in the provision of efficient, high quality, skilled maintenance of the garden and grounds as directed by the Garden Operations Manager and Garden Supervisors .
Main responsibilities and duties through direct hands-on experience, to efficiently learn and assist in the practice of skilled garden maintenance as directed in the following areas:
- Compliance with procedures to manage risk to the trainee, the team, volunteers, visitors and contractors.
- Seasonal maintenance of Italian Gardens, Eastern Pleasure Gardens, West Side gardens, lakeside schemes.
- To develop a working knowledge and broad familiarity with the majority of plants within the garden
- To develop an understanding of the garden’s history and plant collections, and to understand the garden’s role in garden conservation
- To treat members of the public with courtesy and to encourage their interest in the garden
- To complete a daily technical journal, research projects and weekly plant identification tests.
Skills & Personal Attributes Required:
- Prior experience in practical skills in horticulture with enthusiasm to master skills to competently maintain flower beds, pruning, training and topiary work, lifting and dividing, feeding, irrigating, P & D control, soil management and turf.
- Use your motivation to develop skills in machinery usage to support routine garden maintenance tasks.
- Have the ability to follow instructions and recall and apply safe working practices to ensure working in line with current Health and Safety legislation.
- Work alone or as a member of a team (i.e. / to work with other gardeners, students, volunteers and contractors as may be required). Flexible approach.
5 GCSE’s (9-4) A-C including Maths and English
Horticulture Level 2